Take advantage of living in such an ideal central location in Europe.
Here are some suggestions for short Day/Weekend trips from Aviano Air Base:
- Aquileia: Roman ruins an hour from base
- Barcis: Visit the crystal waters of Barcis
- Bologna: Culinary arts, history
- Castello di Duino: Two coastal castles
- Croatia: Enjoy beautiful coast, amazing people
- Innsbruck: An Austrian gem
- Italy: Making the world's best ice cream
- Lugano: Switzerland: Cheese, chocolate, culture
- Ljubljana: 'Home away from home'
- Marina di Pietrasanta: Running with a splash of color
- Murano: Island of glass
- Pala Fontana: Experience the beauty in Aviano's backyard
- Pisa: Check Leaning Tower off your 'bucket list'
- Padova: Shining bright in Venice's shadow
- Pastrengo: What's new at the zoo?
- Piancavallo: Winter Wonderland
- Piancavallo: Mountaintop playground offers endless fun
- Polcenigo: Experience 'life on the farm' at Polcenigo park
- Salzburg: Searching for the perfect trinket
- San Marino: Day trip destination of the month
- Torino: Much more than industry
- Treviso: City offers action-packed indoor adventure
- Trieste: Castle entices visitors with its beauty, view
- Venice: 'City of Water' offers unique experience
- Verona: 'In fair Verona' doth beauty, culture lie
- Verona has it all
- Venzone: A world of lavender in Venzone
Venice is 60-90 minutes from Aviano. Besing that it is on the lagoon, taking a train may be the best option.
There are, however, car parks in Piazzale Roma or Tronchetto and inexpensive garages in Mestre, one train stop
from the main station. The VENICEcard discount pass comes with a city map and grants its holders
unlimited use of local land and water public transportation and free admission to all of Venice's
civic museums and the 16 churches of the Chorus Circuit, plus discounts for car parks and other
activities. Vaporetto No. 1, a water bus, runs down the Grand Canal, and its 45-minute journey
passes along a picturesque view of palazzi, churches, bridges and markets. Several vaporetti venture out to the
glass-blowing island of Murano, the lace-making island of Burano, Italy's Venice beach called Lido and other
smaller islands off the beaten path.
Information, Tickets and Travel Office trips
ITT offers several group, sightseeing and shopping trips. For more information, call 0434-30-3107, email ITT@aviano.af.mil or visit the office in the Exchange mall.
Outdoor Recreation trips
ODR now offers adventure trips. The office is located on Area F, near the South Gate. For more information or questions, call 0434-30-8623.
Lignano | Grado | Venice
Aviano Air Base - Supporting Our Own Away From Home!
Serving to welcome both newcomers and current American and/or NATO residents to the Aviano Air Base
community and the surrounding area in
northeastern Italy. Contents of this site are not necessarily the official views of, or endorsed by,
the U.S. government, the Department of Defense or the Air Force. The appearance of advertising in this site,
including sites linked to this site, does not constitute endorsement by the DoD, Department of the AF,
AvianoAirBase.com or anyone associated with this site.
Aviano Free Time
Aviano AB History
Aviano Places to See
Aviano Health & Fitness
Metric Conversion Chart