Pordenone (Friulian: Pordenon) is a comune of the province of the same name of northeast Italy in the Friuli-Venezia Giulia region.
The name comes from the Latin "Portus Naonis" meaning the port on the river Noncello (Latin Naon).
Pordenone was largely created by what are known today as the Templar Knights within the Germatic Holy Roman Empire
in the High Middle Ages (i.e. around the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries or c. 1001-1300 AD)
as a river port on the Noncello, with the name Portus Naonis.
In the area, however, there were already villas and agricultural settlements from the Roman age in this Augustan region X Regio Venetia et Histria under the dominion of Caesar Augustus,
which had the capitol of Aquileia.
It grew substantially as a port connecting shipping routes to the Cyprus stronghold due to the flourishing river trade of local agricultural produce
with knife/sword arms of Maniago and international banking ingenuity of the Templar Knight lords and gained in the 14th century the status of "city" in December, 1314.
In 1378, after the supposed demise of the Knights Templar and having been administrated by several feudatories, the city was handed over to the Habsburg family,
forming an Austrian enclave within the territory of Patriarch of Aquileia, one of the ecclesiastical states of the Holy Roman Empire.
In 1514 it was acquired by the Republic of
Under Venice a new port was built and the manufacturers improved.
After the Napoleonic period, it was included in the Austrian possessions in Italy
(Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia). The railway connection, including the railway station,
and the construction of the Pontebbana road brought on the decline of the port,
but spurred substantial industrial development, especially for the working of cotton.
It was annexed to a newly born unified Kingdom of Italy somewhere around 1866.
Italian unification (Italian: "Unificazione italiana"), also known as "Risorgimento",
meaning Resurgence, was the political and social movement that consolidated different states
of the Italian peninsula into the single state of the first emergence of a unified Italy as the "Kingdom of Italy" in the same years of 19th century as the American Civil War.
Despite a lack of consensus on the exact dates for the beginning and end of this period,
many scholars agree that the process began in 1815 with the Congress of Vienna and the end
of Napoleonic rule, and was completed in 1871 when Rome became the capital of the Kingdom of Italy.
Some of the terre irredente did not, however, join the Kingdom of Italy until after World War I
with the Treaty of Saint-Germain. Some nationalists see the 3 November 1918 Armistice of Villa
Giusti as the completion of unification.
The cotton sector, however, decayed after the damage of World War I and the 1929 crisis, and never recovered at all.
After World War II the local
Zanussi became a world giant of household appliances, and in 1968 Pordenone became capital of the province with
the same name, including territory
belonging to Udine.
After WWII, the province, as well as the rest of
Friuli-Venezia Giulia, became
garrison for many military units, in order to prevent an eventual Soviet invasion from east.
The heavy military presence was an important
factor in the economical development of this once depressed area. It is now garrison to the 132nd
Armored Brigade "Ariete", spread across multiple locations of the province.
From 1981 it has been the primary host
to Le Giornate del Cinema Muto (referred to in English as "Pordenone Silent Film Festival").
It is an annual festival of silent film held in October in Pordenone, northern Italy. It is the first,
largest and most important international festival dedicated to silent film. It also is present
in the list of the top 50 unmissable film festivals in the world according to Variety.
The Silent Film Festival is a non-profit association, whose president is Livio Jacob.
The director from 1997 until 2015 was David Robinson. Other members of the festival board are
Paolo Cherchi Usai, Lorenzo Codelli, Piero Colussi, Luciano De Giusti, Carlo Montanaro, Piera Patat.
Corso Vittorio Emanuele II is the main road running down the middle of the city, with its carachteristical
Gothic and Renaissance edifices, some with frescoes.
Cathedral of St. Mark (Duomo) was built from 1363 in Romanesque-Gothic style and restored in the 16th and
18th centuries. It houses a famous fresco of San Rocco and an altarpiece by the native Renaissance painter
Giovanni Antonio de' Sacchis (commonly known as Il Pordenone). It has a 79 meter bell tower.
The Palazzo Ricchieri is a palace in central Pordenone, located on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II number 51,
across from the Palazzo della Comune (City Hall) of the city. It now serves as the Museo Civico d'Arte.
The structure originated as a 13th-century fortress tower, belonging to the Ricchieri family, who served at times, either the Holy Roman Emperor or the Republic of Venice.
The Gothic Communal Palace (1291-1395). The loggia, the pinnacles and the watch-tower, designed by painter
Pomponio Amalteo, were added in the 16th century.
The church of the Santissima Trinit� ("Holy Trinity"), alongside the Noncello river. It has an octagonal
plant and frescoes by Giovanni Maria Calderari.
Castello di Torre ("Tower Castle") (late 12th century), residence of the Ragogna family and now seat of
the Western Friuli Archaeological Museum. It was assaulted in 1402 by Imperial troops, who left in place only a tower.
The Roman Villa of Torre's remains were discovered in the 1950s.
Aviano Air Base - Supporting Our Own Away From Home!
Serving to welcome both newcomers and current American and/or NATO residents to the Aviano Air Base
community and the surrounding area in
northeastern Italy. Contents of this site are not necessarily the official views of, or endorsed by,
the U.S. government, the Department of Defense or the Air Force. The appearance of advertising in this site,
including sites linked to this site, does not constitute endorsement by the DoD, Department of the AF,
AvianoAirBase.com or anyone associated with this site.